The Ultimate Summer Drink: Fresh Coconut Water
When we think about the ultimate summer drink, one of the first beverages that comes to mind is fresh coconut water, straight from the source. Nothing is more tasty and refreshing than the sweet liquid that you get from a newly cut coconut.
We are proud to offer fresh coconut water to our guests at our Beach House, but this summertime staple can be found in many local supermarkets, Farmers Markets and roadside stalls on the island.
Besides being a delicious and thirst-quenching beverage, there are many reasons why it has been admired as a ‘super drink’ for generations. Check out our top five reasons below to indulge in coconut water.
1. It is full of nutrition. Coconut water is 94% water and naturally low in calories, fat free and a good source of electrolytes, enzymes, amino acids, minerals (calcium, potassium, manganese and magnesium), vitamins (riboflavin and vitamin C) and fiber.
2. It prevents dehydration. Coconut water refuels and is super hydrating. Its potassium content helps maintain water pressure within cells and blood. Plus it contains more electrolytes and less sugar than most sports drinks and more potassium than bananas! Did you know that coconut water has been used as an emergency substitute for IV solutions?
3. It aids digestion. Coconut water improves digestion and metabolism through bioactive enzymes. It can also help balance the ratio of good-to-bad bacteria in your digestive tract and is thought to aid the absorption of food.
4. It supports immune function. Its lauric acid content is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral; helping to ward off disease and boost your immune system.
5. Coconut water as food for thought. It fuels your brain! Due to electrolyte content, coconut water improves nervous system function and nerve transmission. An added benefit is that coconut water is better than sports drinks like Gatorade. A study by the School of Medical Science at Universiti Sains Malaysia concluded that coconut water was the best option for athletes. It found that coconut water best helped an athlete’s performance – causing less nausea, fullness and no stomach upsets as compared to sports drinks.